In Asheville, homeschoolers have access to musical theater education at Asheville Performing Arts Academy. Here, we are discussing some of the many benefits of musical theater for homeschoolers.
Five Benefits of Musical Theater for Homeschool Students
1) Musical Theater Helps Students Learn History
Learning academic material successfully is crucial to develop into a well-rounded adult. Did you know that kids can learn more about the things they are studying in homeschool through theater?
Many shows have historical settings and cover significant historical subjects. They assist in making history appealing to young children. A child who takes part in theater gets to go back in time to the era they are learning about. Additionally, using plays and musicals to convey essential moral messages is entertaining.
2) Musical Theater Helps Students Cognitively
Musical theater can significantly benefit a child’s cognitive abilities. Children who engage in performing arts must work together to solve problems, memorize lines and movements, and essentially learn another language.
3) Musical Theater Helps Students Build Self Confidence
In every step of their musical theater experience, children are able to take strides toward becoming more confident:
- Audition: Students will have to practice and become acquainted with material in order to perform a quality audition. Auditions can be intimidating, so just getting on the stage can help a child’s confidence.
- Rehearsal: During rehearsals, students will memorize and practice their lines, music, and choreography. They will go from having almost no experience with their character and show to becoming experts. They will be able to track their own growth from start to finish and gain confidence in their ability to learn and grow.
- Performance: Students overcome stage fright and nerves to deliver the performance for which they have rehearsed and studied. Seeing the audience’s reaction is a thrill unlike any other. Students who engage in musical theater realize they can do anything to which they can put their minds.
4) Musical Theater Helps Students Make Friends
People engaged in theater and the performing arts often bond into tightly knit communities. Residents of Asheville are, by nature, artistic and passionate about creativity.
Your child will be surrounded by friends who become like family if they take part in theater. They will be a part of a group whose objectives, aspirations, and pursuits they share.
For homeschool families who are concerned about making sure their children have ample social opportunities, theater provides the perfect diversity of people, backgrounds, and ages. They will interact with adults and peers alike.
5) Musical Theater Helps Students with College and Beyond
Extracurricular activities are important for students for a number of reasons, including:
- Broadening interests and exploring passions
- Discovering potential career interests
- Finding your calling
- Meeting new people
- Mastering skills and learning new subjects
- Applying for colleges
Participation in musical theater can be attractive on college and job applications. It also helps students develop the skills they need to be successful.
Homeschool Musical Theater Opportunities Asheville Performing Arts Academy
Experience one of our homeschool production classes. These workshops are held throughout the day and offer a wonderful chance to expand your child's artistic horizons as well as to continue strengthening your homeschool community.
- Tuition includes: all rehearsal and performance materials.
- Rehearsals: Rehearsals occur once a week during the length of the production class. Students are expected to be present for all rehearsals except when there are extenuating circumstances.
- Families are required to provide a base costume consisting of: solid black tank-top, solid black t-shirt, solid black long-sleeved shirt, and solid bottoms (pants, leggings, shorts, or skirt). Families are also required to provide any dance shoes that are required for the role.
Our upcoming production of the one act play for young Wizards, PUFFS, is the perfect chance for your homeschoolers to jump right in.
PUFFS (A One-Act for Young Wizards)
- Cost: $325
- Ages: 7 - 18
- Rehearsals Start: Monday, September 12th
- Rehearsal Times: Every Monday from 1:00-3:00 pm (Please note we will take a break around the holidays)
- Tech Week: Week of February 6, 2022 (please note, all rehearsal this week are mandatory)
- Shows: February 10-12, 2022